Once SharePoint 2010 Public Beta is released, you would want to start playing with it!
This post will detail steps on installing Microsoft SharePoint Foundation (WSS4) on a Windows 7 RTM.
Ideally this would be on laptop and the recommended hardware would be
- x64 capable CPU
- 2 Gb of RAM minimum (4Gb recommended)
- Download the SharePoint.exe file for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation (WSS 4)
- Extract the files from SharePoint.exe with this command line. SharePoint.exe /extract:c:\SharePointFiles This extracts all of the installation files to your hard drive at C:\SharePointFiles
- Edit the Configuration to Allow Windows Client. You will need to edit one of the installation files to permit the install on Windows 7. Edit C:\SharePointFiles\Files\Setup\config.xml and add this line to the end. Because this is an XML file you must get capitalization correct. <Setting Id="AllowWindowsClientInstall" Value="True"/> The complete file will now look like this:
<Setting Id="SETUPTYPE" Value="CLEAN_INSTALL" />
<DATADIR Value="%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Data" />
<Logging Type="verbose" Path="%temp%" Template="Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 4.0 Setup *.log" />
<PIDKEY Value="<replace with your key here>" />
<Setting Id="UsingUIInstallMode" Value="1" />
<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="Never" />
<Setting Id=”AllowWindowsClientInstall” Value=”True”/>
Before you install and configure Microsoft SharePoint Foundation (WSS 4) on Windows7 RTM, you will need to configure Windows7 features and install the pre-requisite software, since SharePoint 2010 does not run the pre-requisite installer on Windows7 RTM.
I have written a separate post on how to prepare for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation (WSS 4) installation on Wiindows7 RTM.
Once you have installed the pre-requisite software, you are ready to install and configure Microsoft SharePoint Foundation (WSS 4)
- Run C:\SharePointFiles\Setup.exe.
- Choose “Install Windows SharePoint Services”. Do not install the software prerequisites.
- Accept the warning about installing on Windows 7.
- Choose the Basic install type.
- On Windows 7 only during the install you will be prompted for a known compatibility issue with SQL Server 2008. Ignore for now.
- Choose Run Program during install.
- After installation and configuration of WSS4.0 is completed, you will need to install the SQL Server 2008 SP1.
- On installation, start the SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard. Run the Wizard.
- Once the configuration is successful install SQL Server 2008 SP1. Download Link: sql8sp1
- Create a new SharePoint site using the SharePoint 4.0 Central Administration under Administrative Tools.