I have come across an issue when using SharePoint (SPS and WSS) with Windows XP.

Yes, we are not even into enterprise wide planning for SharePoint 2007 as yet. Wssv3 is a different story, which you may have been following through my posts and will continue to over coming months…

Coming back to Wssv2 issue/Project Server 2003. On our network we have a password policy, so users are required to
change their password every 60 days.

I have noticed a few times now that some users, after changing their network password, are prompted by SharePoint (SPS and WSS) for their credentials. After entering the information 3 times they are given an “Access Denied” error. This was also then performing an AD “Account Lockout” on their account and preventing them from accessing their email and other network services.

If the user logged onto a different machine with their new network password there would be no problem accessing SharePoint and no prompt was displayed, which meant the problem was a local issue.

It seemed as though the old username and password was being cached somewhere. This issue only seemed to affect some users and not everyone who changed their password.

After much investigating I found the cause and a workaround to resolve the issue.

Cause:

What seemed to happen was it was storing the old information in the
Password list under the Manage Passwords section under “User Accounts”.
(Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts)

If a user who had ever tried accessing an Area or document library in
SharePoint where they didn’t have permission, they were getting
prompted for their credentials, and the information was being stored in
this list.

When the user changed their network password after 45 days, then went
to log back on to SharePoint, it was still recognising their old
credentials from the cached password list, so when they typed their new
password it wasn’t authenticating, because the passwords matched.

Resolution:

1. Click “Start” > “Settings” > “Control Panel”
2. Double click “User Accounts”
3. Click on the “Advanced” tab
4. In the “Passwords and .NET Passports” area click “Manage Passwords”
5. Remove everything there.

Also, delete everything in this directory:

C:Documents and SettingsYOURUSERNAMEApplication DataMicrosoftCredentials

and everything in this directory:

C:Documents and SettingsYOURUSERNAMELocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftCredentials

%d bloggers like this: